What’s All the Hype About?
DMG is a natural substance found in low levels in the body and in certain foods like meat (liver), beans, seeds, and grains. DMG is not found in high levels in your body because it is rapidly broken down into other substances that your body needs. The human body can produce small amounts of DMG from choline and betaine, but supplementation with DMG can result in many health benefits to the body.
- DMG is a completely safe hypoallergenic nutrient.
- Production of DMG decreases as age or if our immune system is not functioning properly, which leaves us more susceptible to stress and infection.
- DMG makes the process of breaking down or building up of compounds in the body quicker and more efficient.
- DMG enhances metabolism, which can provide increased benefits when supplemented even if there isn’t a deficiency.
- DMG improves detoxification, the use of oxygen by the body, cell protection, immune system modulation and enhances healing.
DMG Potential Benefits
- Alcoholism/Drug Addictions - DMG eliminates craving for drugs and alcohol, as well as helping to detoxify the liver.
- Arthritis - DMG has anti-inflammatory properties and supports the immune system.
- Athletic Performance - Increases oxygen utilization, decreases lactic acid formation (less muscle aches and pains) and makes energy production more efficient.
- Autism - DMG acts as a methyl donor, adaptogen, as well as impacting the immune response and enhancing neurotransmitter production.
- Autoimmune Diseases (like Lupus) - DMG modulates the immune response in those with autoimmune diseases.
- Cancer - DMG has anti-tumor properties, modulates the immune system and helps protect DNA.
- Cardiovascular Disease - Decreases elevated triglyceride and cholesterol levels, improves circulation, helps the body adapt to stress, and decreases homocysteine levels, increases glutathione and SAMe.
- Cataract Prevention – DMG increases circulation, rids the area of optical debris, enhances oxygen utilization at a cellular level and acts as an antioxidant.
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Fibromyalgia - DMG enhances oxygen utilization, improves circulation, makes energy production more efficient, modulates the immune system and decreases lactic acid levels.
- Diabetes - DMG regulates sugar metabolism, helps production of hormones like insulin, helps with cataract prevention and acts as an antioxidant.
- General health/Premature Aging - DMG modulates the immune system, increases circulation, improves oxygen utilization and acts as an adaptogen (normalize physiological functions and help maintain homeostasis within the body) and provides building blocks needed for synthesis of important body constituents.
- Immune System - Enhances the immune system by acting as an anti-viral, anti-bacterial and an anti-fungal agent.
- Liver and Kidney Disorders - DMG acts as a methyl donor, it enhances circulation, enhances glutathione and SAMe production and has lipotropic properties.
- Neurological Disorders - DMG reduces seizures frequency and strength, increases circulation, provides building blocks to important neurotransmitters and hormones and makes energy production more efficient.
- Respiratory problems - DMG increases circulation, increases oxygen utilization, decreases lactic acid and acts as an adaptogen.
- Stress - DMG acts as an adaptogen and helps the body cope with physical, emotional and metabolic stress, acts as an antioxidant, provides building blocks, increases oxygen utilization, decreases lactic acid and helps modulate the immune system.
A Message From Your Pharmacist: Herbal supplementation is a very controversial topic and one that many pharmacists and healthcare professionals steer away from. There are conflicting reports about various herbal or natural remedies as to whether they work. This article is for informational purposes only. The advice we can give is that no matter what you are taking, whether it be traditional medications or natural remedies, always consult your pharmacist for potential benefits and possible contraindications, warnings and drug interactions. References and dosing information are available upon request.
Steven DiLollo, Pharm.D.
Colonia Natural Pharmacy